Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 7th September 2006
BS.Player Newbie

JoeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default problem with "Extend picture to" feature

Hi.
before i'll ask the question i just want to mention that im using tv-out to watch movies on my tv, i have Geforce 6600GT in Clone mode and the "draw subtitles to overlay surface" option in bsp is turned on (so i could see the subtitles on my tv screen).

Now, what im trying to achieve is that no metter what is the original movie size, it will allways be stretched to a fixed size. So far so good, all i have to do is to set the Aspect ratio in the playlist to the size i want, right?- nope. Because i also want the subtitles to be on the black area, under the movie. So i tried to extend the movie size (video> video rendering> extend picture to) but then, it doesn't stretched to a fixed size.
Why does it happening?

Old 7th September 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Ratio is ... well it's a ratio, not a size.
Have you tried "Remember movie window size" under
(rightclick >) Options > Video > [General]?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Default yeah, i mean ratio that gives you a size.

Anyway... Yes, i'v tried it but i don't think it has somthing to do with the problem.
The problem is that the Aspect ratio doesn't stays the same when you extend the movie size (extend picture to).
you can check it yourself- Open some movie in bsp, change the aspect ratio to, lets say 16:9. Then, go to: preference > video > [video redering] And extend the picture to 4:3. See how the movie height is decreased?

Maybe im not doing it right, all i want to do is to make the Aspect ratio 4:3 but with black strips like in 16:9, so the black strips will be a part of the actual movie and i will be able to place there (on the black strips) my subtitles.

I hope i'v explaind it clear enough this time :roll:
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Newbie

hum... Actualy im talking about full screen.
I forgot to mention that i have the full screen option on the seconary display (tv) enabled in the nvidia driver settings. So every movie i open in my computer displayed as full screen on my tv.

edit:
Strange... I could swear there was another post here before :shock:
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Master

Question: Is "Draw subtitles to Overlay surface" selected (under Preferences > Subtitles)?
Question: BSPlayer has a Movie-mode (short cut key [M]). Did you know? Ever tried it?

Further note there are several options in full screen mode:
  1. You can "free resize" the videoscreen using the following key-combinations of [Ctrl]-key together with a numeric key of the numeric key-pad:
    [Ctrl]/[2] : Free resize down
    [Ctrl]/[8] : Free resize up
    [Ctrl]/[4] : Free resize left
    [Ctrl]/[6] : Free resize right
  2. You can move the videoscreen using the same numeric keys, but without [Ctrl]
  3. Then there is the feature to pan-in/out (Default keys: [+]/[-] on numeric key-board).
  4. (Key [5] of numeric keypad can be used to "reset".)
(Note the mentioned keys are only valid unless you've redefined the default key definitions for this under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Key definitions & WinLIRC. There you can define your own keydefinitions seperately for Windowed mode and for Full screen mode.
)
Using the possibilities of panning in/out, free resize and moving the videoscreen you can accomplish almost anything; did you ever experiment a bit with all these different possibilities?

P.S.: You can also extend picture to n lines instead of to a ratio.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Newbie

1. Yes. As i said in my first post.
2. Yes but it doesn't work with the "draw subtitles to Overlay surface" option.
the subtitles can't get outside the movie.

The Pan-Scan options doesn't work for me. I want a permanent size for all of the movies. I don't want to play around with it every time i want to watch a movie.

I have tried the "Extend picture to lines" before, and it's really the closest option to what i want but it only works for movies that their height is bigger then 300. otherwise, the black strips are too big.
Also, i didn't exactly get what "lines" stands for in the "Extend picture to lines" option. what are those "lines" means?

Why can't i just open all of my movies in the same size and have black strips for the subtitles? :?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it :)
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: yeah, i mean ratio that gives you a size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR
Maybe im not doing it right, all i want to do is to make the Aspect ratio 4:3 but with black strips like in 16:9, so the black strips will be a part of the actual movie and i will be able to place there (on the black strips) my subtitles.

I hope i'v explaind it clear enough this time :roll:
Your monitor\TV screen does have an AR of 3:4. So, if you have a 16:9 image, to get to fullscreen the player must add black lines, top and bottom. A 4:3 image when gets to full screen it fills the whole screen (as it's 4:3) so there are no black lines top and bottom.
To remain at the same AR (4:3) and have black lines top and bottom you must add also black lines left and right (similar too zoom into the image) But I am sure you don't want to do that, isn't it ?
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
i didn't exactly get what "lines" stands for in the "Extend picture to lines" option. what are those "lines" means?
I think the 576 line option has to do with 576 line interlace PAL and the 480 line option with the 480 line interlace NTSC display.
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Your monitor\TV screen does have an AR of 3:4. So, if you have a 16:9 image, to get to fullscreen the player must add black lines, top and bottom. A 4:3 image when gets to full screen it fills the whole screen (as it's 4:3) so there are no black lines top and bottom.
To remain at the same AR (4:3) and have black lines top and bottom you must add also black lines left and right (similar too zoom into the image) But I am sure you don't want to do that, isn't it ?
But if you extend the picture so the black strips will be rendered as a part of the movie it'll look like the aspect ratio is 16:9 but it'll really be 4:3. And that's what i want :)

I'll geuss i'm gonna pass the "subtitles under the movie" thing :(.
Bad luck, i really thught i'v solved it this time, with the "Extend picture to" feature...
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
... if you extend the picture so the black strips will be rendered as a part of the movie it'll look like the aspect ratio is 16:9 but it'll really be 4:3. And that's what i want :)
That would be only valid if the aspect ratio of the movie in reality is 16:9 and you have BSPlayer extend it to 4:3. I just tried by also selecting full screen for TV-out using Nvidia clone mode and BSPlayer's extend-feature to 576 lines (for PAL-TV) and it works perfectly (with subtitles on the black bar below the video).
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
I just tried by also selecting full screen for TV-out using Nvidia clone mode and BSPlayer's extend-feature to 576 lines (for PAL-TV) and it works perfectly (with subtitles on the black bar below the video).
Maybe, but that isn't the question. the qustion is whether you tried it on different movies with different sizes.
Old 9th September 2006
BS.Player Master

With respect to the option "Extend picture to" (under Preferences > Video > [Video Rendering]) I already indicated that I think the 576 line option has to do with 576 line interlace PAL and the 480 line option with the 480 line interlace NTSC display.
Further, as long as you're really "extending" the picture (which depends on the original (real) ratio of the movie vs the screenratio of 4:3), it works.E.g. if in full screen mode the background is shown as black bars at top and bottom of a video.
By "extending" you can then add similar black bars to the picture itself so that the black bars shown are in fact no longer shown as 'visible' part of the background, but they have become part of the movie-picture itself shown in front of the background.

Tags
extend picture to, feature